~ Lucy Suiya Leboso, Participant in Rombo Division
Vibrant Village Foundation partner, Noomayianat Community Development Organization (NCDO), was founded in 2005 by a group of visionary young citizen-leaders. NCDO was established to address the challenges of drought, food security and environmental degradation faced by the Maasai community.
NCDO works with the Maasai to improve sustainable livelihoods through formation of agricultural producer groups and a market access association. Their Vibrant Village Foundation-funded project helps them to enhance the groups’ capacities in agricultural practices (irrigation, soil preservation and drought cycle management) and enterprise and financial management. The project funds the construction of 16 shallow wells that will provide a clean water source for these agricultural activities and household consumption.
- Form an agro-pastoralist producer group with 25 members
- Train 500 farmers on drought cycle management and climate change preparedness
- Conduct soil moisture conservation & treatment of 500 acres of gullies
- Construct 16 wells for drinking water
- Form 30 women's Village Savings & Loans Associations (VSLA)
- Train 300 group members on VSLAs, microenterprise development & leadership